1. Gladys took a ____ approach to problem solving, so when the committee needed ideas on how to create more low-cost public transportation, she suggested they study what worked well in other cities with similar needs.
2. Researchers in University of Maryland discover that many people subconsciously think that in assessment of others competence and warmth are (i) ____: when they feel someone is highly capable, they will assert that he or she must have a tendency to be (ii) ____.
Blank (i) Blank (ii)
A. clearly interconnected D. passive
B. inversely related E. nonchalant
C. physically paralyzed F. unfeeling
A显然是相互联系的 B.成反比 C.肢体瘫痪 D.消极的 E.漠不关心的 F.没有同情心的
3. His new role gives the normally clownish actor a chance to impress audiences with his (i) ___. He is among the most uninhibited comic performers around, but here he buttons his lip and stares straight ahead. Perhaps without quite knowing it, the audience waits for a wink, a hint that some of the (ii) ___ spirit that animated his previous movies might be lurking inside the (iii) ___ manner he presents in this film.
Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii)
A. Raillery D. Madcap G. Facetious
B. Effusiveness E. Lugubrious H. Reserved
C. Forbearance F. Edifying I. Beguiling
4. Although his original mission was a failure, Russian botanist Michael Friedrich Adams achieved an unexpected ____ when he found, by chance, the carcass of a woolly mammoth.
解析：此题关键在于前半句的although…failure, 和unexpected. 说明后面是成功。
5. Although most land snails are ____, the giant African snail is a notable exception; it can be 15 inches long and weigh 2 pounds.
6. While it is always clear that the author’s message is heartfelt, it is mostly buried by shortcomings of style, organization, and production, although the book does become more ____ toward the end.